Shortly after Itel India announced that it’ll be launching Android Oreo (Go Edition) phones later this year, Infinix India also announced that the Infinix Note 4 (32+3), Note 4 Pro and Zero 5 will be getting Android 7 (Nougat) to Android 8 (Oreo) updates Over The Air (OTA). Recall that:
- Infinix Note 4 is also known as X572
- Infinix Note 4 Pro is also known as X571
- Infinix Zero 5 is also known as X603
Here’s the announcement by an Administrator at the Infinix Forum (Eric-lisw):
Dear lovely Infinix India fans
Infinix is always aiming to provide the best software service for India fans .
We believe with our slogan
Tech bold and stylish
We can really create a great brand together with India fans love
We believe from zero to hero
Here we are proudly to anaunce the pipe line of Infinix devices :
Note4 32+3 April N to O
NOTE4 PRO May N to O
ZERO5 August N to O
Pls kindly be patient for the updating
Android Oreo update this April 2018
According to this announcement, the Infinix Note 4 X572 (32+2) will be the first to receive this update as early as next month. For those who don’t know what “32+2” means, it means the variant which has 32 GB ROM (internal storage) and 3 GB RAM. Since this seems to be a variants-specific update, not all Note 4s might be eligible for this update. Whether or not this will be the case, only time will tell.
Compared to Tecno and Itel, Infinix has been quite consistent in releasing updates and should be the brand (of the three) to patronize if you hope to get updates. Tecno’s only 2 version updates (Tecno C8 and Phantom 6 Plus) were a disaster and they never released similar updates for any other model contrary to what they promised. They’re yet to even get bug fix updates right like you would see on the recent Tecno CX update.
Itel -to the best of my knowledge- has never released a version update but i’m optimistic that this might change with Android Oreo (Go Edition) they plan to feature on some of their future lineups.
How to prepare for this OTA update
If you own one these models then here are some tips to help you prepare for this update:
- Take note of your phone’s present Build Number as this tells you which variant yours is in case it gets bricked during or after updating. We already have a guide on how to check your Build Number so follow it
- If you have rooted your phone then ensure to unroot it because installing an OTA update on a rooted phone will most likely brick it
- If you have flashed a custom recovery or modified any other partition like boot or system then ensure to flash back that partition from a stock rom / firmware for your Infinix phone‘s Build Number
- If you can’t find and download a firmware for your exact build number then backup your phone’s firmware in case you find the update too buggy or it bricks your phone. Checkout our Miracle Box and WWR tool guides or use a Chinese Box / Dongle if you have one.