Earlier today, we noticed a number of apps crashing on one of our gadgets. If you’ve been experiencing the same then you are just one of many others affected. The issue is as a result of a bug in the latest Android System WebView update.
Those who have auto update turned off or Android System WebView disabled shouldn’t be experiencing this issue. While Google is aware and working on a bug-fix, you’ll need to fix this issue via a simple workaround till another update is released.
How do I stop the app crashes?
- Navigate to Settings > Apps
- Choose the option to view all apps
- Tap the menu at the top-right (three vertical dots) and select Show system (apps)
- Scroll down to Android System Webview and select it
- Select Uninstall updates and Reboot your device
- If some apps are still crashing then launch Google Play Store
- Search for Android System WebView
- Select Uninstall
- Reboot your device
Update: A permanent fix has been released. Update your Chrome and Android System Webview (if not disabled)